Friday 9 October 2015

"Ponderizing Pebbles"





Over the last weekend we listened to General conference, two full days of spiritual uplift and strengthening gained from 5 sessions (two hours each) and 35+ speakers. It sounds like a lot of time to pay attention and listen but it just whizzes by and is like  an intensive Ted Talk session but on Spiritual steroids!
 
Just like food  is important to nourish our bodies for us to have energy and strength, I always feel like I have gained spiritual nourishment and strength from listening to  the many varied subjects and wise counsel gained from the conference talks. I always come away from listening to it feeling more balanced and with a desire to do better and be better.

One of the many talks that I liked  this year was on "Ponderizing!" Never heard of it? Neither had I.  The talk was by Devin G Durrant (you can see the whole of the talk at the end of this post) and this is part of what he said:-


"I invite you to “ponderize” one verse of scripture each week. The word ponderize is not found in the dictionary, but it has found a place in my heart. So what does it mean to ponderize? I like to say it’s a combination of 80 percent extended pondering and 20 percent memorization.…
… Read or think of the verse several times each day and ponder the meaning of its words and key phrases throughout the week."

I thought of the uplifting results of doing this weekly for  a whole month,  and then 6 months, a year, 10 years, or more that he suggested. Not only would I have some scriptures memorized but the influence of their meaning would permeate my thinking and heart.   
On Monday evening, when "Family night" came around, we  re-listened to the talk and discussed as a family how we wanted to go about doing it. Hubby decided his scripture would be put on his phone screen, The Hungry Boy has his on his sticky notes on his computer screen and Daughter number two decided to put hers on her bedroom mirror.

I  wanted to do it in a way in which I could personally make it meaningful to me.
As you may know, I like to collect heart shaped stones ...


...  and have many hearts AND pebbles in my bathroom which I look at on multiple occasions throughout the day... brushing my teeth, going to the loo...... etc

 

I look at the pebbles that I found at Winchelsea beach, above my sink, ALL the time..... so what better way than to put my chosen scriptures to ponderize, on a pebble next to them? 
Luckily I had a bunch of pebbles that we had collected on holiday still in the boot of my car!!!


I decided that I would start with one scripture  for each week over the next month....  


For week one... I chose: Proverbs 3: 5-6

Trust in the lord with all thine heart and lean not unto thine 
own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him and he shall direct thy paths.



Week 2... I chose : D&C 18:10

Remember the worth of souls is great in the sight of God.


Week 3 I chose: 1 Corinthians 13:4

Love is patient...


... and wrote  on the back..."Charity suffereth long and is kind, charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up...


Week 4... I chose Isiah 41:10
Fear not I am with thee oh be not dismayed for I am thy God and will still give thee aid. I'll strengthen thee, help thee and cause thee to stand upheld by my righteous omnipotent hand,



Here is my first week already and in place above my sink. 



Already after just a few days I have noticed that the scripture pops in to my head at odd times throughout the day and I find my self thinking more about the meaning it has to me. Being a three dimensional object that I can pick up and touch and look at, means that it is very kinaesthetic... and I have found that I have memorized it far quicker than I ever would have if it was  just written on  a piece of paper (I also may very well have lost it!)
 
Each week I will replace  my "Ponderizing Pebble" with a new one and put the older ones in odd places in the garden for me to re-find and enjoy...(hopefully it may motivate me with my gardening chores!)

I think that Ponderizing is a great idea that can be used in lots of different ways. I personally like the idea of using scriptures but it can equally be applied to ANY uplifting or nourishing saying or quotation that you like, and that resonates with YOU. I have a whole bunch of quotations on my "Quotes and Phrases Pinterest board" so I may do a parallel ponderizing exercise with them in the near future too... stay tuned and watch this space....... 

If you feel like joining me on my "Ponderizing" journey please feel free to find my instagram account as I will add some pictures of the pebbles on there. I would love to see what method you decide to use... and I hope that whatever you chose you will have joy in ...Ponderizing!

Until next time...
 


Jx



If you would like to watch the whole talk please feel free to click on the video link below : )





 You will also find this blog post posted on:

Simple Moments Stick











4 comments:

  1. I love the idea of ponderizing - going to incorporate that into my vocabulary. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! Love your heart shaped rocks. Thanks for sharing how this is rocking your world. -Evergrateful from #fmfparty #51. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! I shared your history in Spanish through http://meditizar.blogspot.com.co/2015/10/los-dos-dias-completos-de-elevacion.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great strategy! Fun and it works!! Love it!
    Blessings and smiles,
    Lori

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...