Saturday 20 May 2017

Moments of Joy




It's been a while!
I have to admit that I haven't felt much like writing recently, as grief does interesting things to your priorities and to your brain! On the times I've wanted to write something, I haven't had the brain power to sit and concentrate... or other things come higher up on the list of current necessities and blogging gets put on the back burner. Then, there are days that you just have to go in to survival mode when you can only do the basics and the desire to blog is a far distant thought.
It's been a rough few months with many ups and downs...  and although the "ups" haven't been as up as I would like them to be..... I have tried to be diligent and consistent in plodding ever forwards, learning how to create a new, different life without Heni. It's often been a struggle along the way to search out those moments of joy that I mentioned back in a post  I wrote just before  Christmas .
Those moments of joy ARE there... they just take some searching for right now.  It's a purposeful activity. One in which if you engage in, opens your eyes and broadens your view.
Those moments often arrive when
I go out walking and intentionally look and see the perfect picture to photograph. Or awake and pause to listen to the sound of the birds chirping outside. They come when you tune into the warmth of the sun on your face on one of those rare glorious days or a fleeting break in the clouds.They can easily been overlooked, mistaken or even ignored if you are not mindful and actively engaged in the process of being aware and noticing them.

Sometimes those moments of joy come when a friend I haven't heard from in a while sends me a text telling me that they are mindful of me and have been praying for my comfort and strength. They come with the kind words, hugs and thoughtfulness of others.
At other times you have to just make your own joy.... to purposefully get up and go out the house to do something constructive, like a class or to provide help to someone else. To turn on the more upbeat music, take time to read or just tune in and be cognizent of the moments needs.

Recently my mac reached the point where I had no disc space left! My  almost 30,000 photos were taking up a little too much room... that made me grin because it showed me something that I enjoy and reminded me   (as I sorted and looked back on the photo library) of the moments that have made me smile and that have given me (and still give me) Joy. 

Today I thought I'd share some of the pictures taken on our yearly traditional walk around Tarn Hows in the Lake district.... the same day on which we put Heni's memorial bench in place and scattered some of her ashes... 

(If you want to compare previous years pics you can also click here as we usually take pictures in the same spot each year!)
They are followed by some other photos from the trip that make me smile and instill a sense of joy when I look at them and remember the memories.

Warning... lots of scrolling involved!
















 
Following are some of the lovely walks and joyful memories that we made on our trip ...


Stock Ghyll force Waterfall walk in Ambleside


Cat Bells Walk near Keswick


Lunch stop on Wainwright's Harter fell climb


The bearded boys

...and some of the amazing scenery that always instills in me a sense of peace, calm and awe at nature. 







Ambleside to Grasmere walk - looking back at Rydal water



Lakeside walk -Howtown to Glenridding


Mossy stone Boat house - Howtown to Glenridding walk


Roman fort at Hardknott pass


Glenridding church - on the last leg of our
Howtown to Glenridding lakeside walk  (another Wainwright)


Stone walls, tree roots and moss - my favourite combination of texture

 ... and some of the joyful moments when I see love all around me and capture it in my heart and mind with a photograph.



Heart on a tree - found on our Wray castle to Bowness walk



Hear shaped rock in the  stream by our favourite bridge - Tarn Howes (top of page)


Love is everywhere if you only look for it!


...and a few of my favourite black and white photos from the trip.... taken at Alan Bank in Grasmere



The boys doing a pastel picture

Hubby contemplating the view at the writing desk - looking over Grasmere lake

Big Bro T - taking a moments reflection of the stunning views

Girls in the games room

The hungry boy in The library


This week... if joy seems to be eluding you ... I would encourage you to stop what you are doing at regular intervals (maybe even set your watch timer?) take a few deep breaths, look around and then ask yourself a few questions.

What do I see that I like right now?
What is good in my life?
What is one simple pleasure that I can enjoy today?

If you would like to have some more questions to ask yourself you can find a list of "50 questions that will help you feel grateful and good about life".... and I would add joyful too!


Until next time.... whenever that may be : )

Jx







1 comment:

  1. Hi Jade,
    It was so good to see your post back at #MomentsofHope! I am sorry it has taken me so long to get over here to catch up. Life just has been a long season of extreme busyness. As much as I try to simplify, something else pops up! But anyway, I SO agree with you and the "moments". It truly was the initial premise of my blog. I was in a space in life where moments were what I held onto. The whole picture was so difficult at the time, but if I focused on those moments as the gifts from God that they were, I could smile and bit by bit joy begin to flourish again. I'm praying for you, my friend, as you continue the lifelong healing journey. May your smiles be more often, deeper, and wider. And may your joy begin to flourish ♥
    Much love,
    Lori

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...